Mushrooms are some of my all time favourite vegetables. I love pizza with mushrooms, pasta with mushrooms, mushrooms with mushrooms and mushrooms on their own. That’s a lot of mushrooms in one sentence. Have I mentioned that mushrooms+garlic=love? Well, this easy recipe can prove it.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 1h10mins
- 1 kg mushrooms. It’s best to use a combination of mushrooms – I used closed cup and chestnut mushrooms.
- 5 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Wash and cut the mushrooms into pieces according to your preference – I like them finely sliced, but I’m not going to judge you if you like them otherwise.
- Heat the olive oil, add the mushrooms and stir. Cover with a lid and leave for 40 minutes at medium heat, stirring occasionally, until most of the juice left by the mushrooms has evaporated.
- Add garlic and stir. Leave for 15 more minutes.
- Season with sea salt and remove from the stove.
- Serve as a side or main dish.
That’s it, folks!
Mushrooms contain antioxidants, selenium and vitamin D and help decrease the risk of diabetes, obesity and heart disease. The folate in mushrooms prevents the formation of cancer cells, while the selenium prevents inflammation and decreases tumor growth rates. Mushrooms are highly recommended for diabetics as they help lower blood glucose levels and improve insulin levels.