This is such a delicious and easy-to-make vegetarian stew. The chickpeas give it a nice crunchiness and compensate for the lack of meat, since they are so rich in protein. However, the ingredient that makes all the difference has to be the tahini. Make sure to use light tahini which makes the stew so rich and creamy, ideal for a filling vegetarian meal. In this recipe, I used pre-soaked chickpeas, which means they were quite soft before I even started cooking them. Enough talking, let’s start cooking!
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 45 min
- 480g soaked chickpeas
- 4-5 dried tomatoes
- 300g mushrooms (whatever type floats your boat)
- 1 medium onion
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp light tahini
- 400g tomatoes (chopped and peeled – I used 1 can of organic tomatoes)
- lime juice
- Start by peeling and chopping the onion finely, and then chop the mushrooms the same size as in the image below
- Heat the olive oil in a pot at medium heat for about 3 minutes
- Add the onions and carefully toss them until golden (approx 1 min)
- Add the mushrooms and allow them to cook for 15-20 min at medium heat with the lid on. You’ll know they’re ready when all the water they release has evaporated.
- Now it’s time to wash and drain the chickpeas
- Once your mushrooms are ready, add the chickpeas & dried tomatoes, stir everything well, cover with a lid and let it cook for 10 more minutes.
- Finally stir in the tahini and let it simmer for 10 min.
- Remove from the stove, season with fresh pepper and add a few drops of lime juice over your plate before your serve.
Chickpeas are a great source of protein that vegetarians can enjoy in a variety of dishes. Chickpeas are also rich in dietary fibre that can help with weight loss and the manganese they contain is very important in energy production and antioxidant defenses. Regular intake of chickpeas can lower the bad cholesterol, strengthen blood vessels and lower the risk of heart attack.
Probably the best thing about chickpeas is the incredible versatility of the amount of dishes you can cook.
I hope you enjoy the recipe and please let me know in the comment section down below of any other delicious chickpea recipes that you might know about.